As we grow, we look to employ people with the right skills and experience that understand the importance of maintaining and improving our services.
We are seeking an applicant to join us at one of Cornwall’s fastest growing companies. Working within a small team reporting to the Freight Manager. This role focuses on the day to day management of St Mary’s quay and the acceptance and loading of freight for both the companies’ passenger ferry and freight ship.
The Isles of Scilly Steamship Group is unique in the UK in terms of its breadth of transport operations including shipping, airline and airport services; providing lifeline links for both passengers and freight between the Isles of Scilly and the mainland. The Group operates the Scillonian III passenger ferry and has recently acquired a new freight ship that is currently being modified to replace the current, smaller vessel, the Gry Maritha. Inter-island freight and mail services are provided using two smaller vessels. The Company also operates Penzance Dry Dock to maintain its own vessels and provide services to external clients.
- Maximise the efficiency of quay operations
- Ensure customer service levels are met and maintained at all times
- Lead the team of quay hands and admin staff whilst liaising with the masters of the group vessels and harbourmasters staff to ensure the smooth process of freight
- Docking & undocking of company vessels
- To accept and monitor all accompanied and unaccompanied freight to ensure fit for shipping
- Assist with the loading of vessels
- To ensure safe working practice on the quay
- To maximise the safety of passengers during embarkation and disembarkation
- To help support new procedures and implement and police on the quay
Current forklift licence required
Experience of leading a team under pressure
Work wear provided
25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
Can’t see the job for you?
Whilst we may not have the right vacancy for you at present, we welcome speculative applications.