Isles of Scilly Travel, part of the Isles of Scilly Steamship Group are committed to providing you with a safe, efficient and friendly service whilst travelling to and from the Isles of Scilly.
If you have any concerns or queries, please email email@example.com or alternatively write to Customer Services, Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, Steamship House, Quay Street, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4BZ. Please mark all correspondence for the attention of Customer Services Department and include your booking reference number, passenger name and date of travel. This will assist us in locating your booking.
Information for Skybus passengers – delays and cancellations
The term ‘weather’ refers to any type of meteorological condition that, for safety reasons, may delay or cancel flights, including but not limited to fog/reduced visibility, high winds, cross winds, heavy rain, snow and ice, or thunder storms.
The term ‘technical’ fault refers to any engineering issue with an aircraft that delays or cancels a flight.
Frequently asked questions and answers
1. Does the Airport have free WIFI?
The airport terminals at St. Mary’s/Land’s End are equipped with free WIFI. No password is required. If you do not have a WIFI equipped device or mobile phone and urgently need to make a phone call, please advise a member of staff.
2. Keeping up to date.
To find up to date travel information for Skybus flights please visit us on Twitter, alternatively you can call our Travel Centre on 01736 334220.
3. I have heard some flights have been cancelled/delayed. Will my flight be cancelled? Do I still have to go to the airport?
It is not always possible to predict flight cancellations caused by weather/technical issues in advance. Affected flights are usually cancelled within 2 hours of the scheduled departure time, although this time frame may vary for operational reasons. Conditions can change very quickly, so we ask all passengers to check in for their flight as normal unless otherwise advised by a Skybus representative.
4. Why was my flight cancelled? The weather doesn’t look bad here.
Skybus never cancels flights unless absolutely necessary. Very strict guidelines are followed with regard to flying in adverse weather conditions, and flight schedules are never disrupted without reason. Visibility and weather conditions may appear to be suitable for operations at one location, however this does not mean that the destination airport, or the required alternate (diversion) airport, has suitable conditions for operations to commence or resume safely.
5. My flight was cancelled first and now flying has resumed. Why are passengers arriving after I did being put on flights before me?
Passengers with confirmed seats on other flights cannot legally be removed to accommodate passengers from cancelled flights. Keeping non-disrupted passengers on their original scheduled flight is standard aviation practice and avoids inconveniencing more passengers than absolutely necessary. If there are seats available on later flights, passengers will be accommodated in flight cancellation order, followed by the order of booking on their original flight.
6. Can I transfer to a flight going to another destination?
Yes, weather and seat availability permitting. If your flight has been cancelled and there are available seats to alternative destinations, passengers may be offered those seats in flight cancellation order, followed by the order of booking on their original flight. If you choose to be transferred to an alternative airport, you may have to arrange your own onward transportation. Please ensure you discuss this with the member of staff who transfers your ticket.
7. My flight has been cancelled and all the other flights are full or have also been cancelled. What are my options now?
Skybus has an obligation to offer passengers a choice between:
- Re-booking free of charge on an alternative flight at the earliest opportunity, availability permitting, or
- Re-booking free of charge on an alternative flight at a later date, please be aware if you choose this option Skybus will no longer have a duty to provide you with refreshments or accommodation or
- Cancelling the journey and receiving a full refund of the unused portion of the ticket, please be aware if you choose this option Skybus will no longer have a duty to provide you with refreshments or accommodation or
- Offering alternative transport to their destination; this may include surface and/or sea transport. In this case, passengers are not eligible for any refund.
NB: Refunds are not currently processed automatically. To request your refund (if you have chosen Option 3 above), please phone the Travel Centre on 01736 334220 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please quote your 6 letter booking reference when contacting us.
8. Should I transfer to the Scillonian III? What happens if the weather improves later?
Skybus staff will give the most current weather information available to them at the time to help passengers make an informed decision regarding transferring to the ship, however the weather may change without warning and the final decision to transfer, or not, rests solely with the passenger. (For your information, travel time on the ship is approx. 2 hrs and 45 minutes.)
NB: If it is offered and you choose not to travel on the Scillonian III, you may not be eligible to claim any incurred costs from your travel insurance nor from Skybus.
9. How does the transfer to the Scillonian III work? Can I transfer to the ship before my flight is officially cancelled?
Passengers may transfer to the Scillonian III before their flight is cancelled subject to availability, but in this instance no refund is given and onward transport is the passenger’s responsibility; please advise the airport if you choose to do this. Passengers are transferred to the ship in flight cancellation order, followed by the order of booking on their original flight. Passengers whose flights have not officially been cancelled are not normally offered seats on the ship until passengers whose flights have been cancelled are accommodated. All transfers to the ship must be authorised by either the airport or the Travel Centre.
NB: Transfers/tickets for Scillonian sailings are NOT currently available on St. Mary’s or Penzance quay.
10. Transport to the Scillonian III from your departure airport.
No matter which airport your Skybus flight originates from, if you are transferred to the Scillonian III because your flight has been cancelled, transportation will be provided from your departure airport to Penzance quay if you are going to the Islands, and St. Mary’s airport to St. Mary’s quay for passengers departing the islands. Onward travel from Penzance to your original scheduled destination airport; or to Penzance train station will also be provided. Please specify which destination you need to the member of staff who transfers your ticket. You may choose to make your own way and not to take the provided transport, please be aware this is at your own expense and Skybus will not refund any costs incurred.
Once you have been transferred by the airport or the Travel Centre, you can use the same ticket that was issued for your flight to board the ship. You do not need any additional paperwork.
If you require food and drink en-route, please purchase this prior to departure as the road transport will not make stops unless absolutely necessary; in addition the airport/surrounding businesses may be closed on your arrival. If any member of your party has special needs, or you are travelling with any animal companions, please advise a member of staff so we may assist you appropriately.
NB: Neither St. Mary’s nor Penzance quay is under cover. Please ensure you have appropriate outerwear readily accessible in case of sudden changes in the weather.
NB: Motion sickness medication is NOT available on-board the ship.
*IMPORTANT* Passengers with vehicles parked at Land’s End airport are reminded that the car park is locked overnight and on Sundays to provide extra security. If you need access to the car park outside the normal hours of operation please advise us as soon as possible so we can make arrangements to give you access to your vehicle. Tell us at the airport when we transfer you, or call/visit the Travel Centre—01736 334220—during office hours.
11. Taking care of you, the passenger
- All Skybus flights are less than 1500km, therefore if you have been delayed by 2 hours or more we will offer you:
- Refreshments and meals in reasonable relation to the waiting time, these may be offered to you as vouchers redeemable in the airport cafe. Please contact our Airport representatives if you haven’t had them issued.
- A means for you to communicate – please contact our Airport representatives if you need assistance with this.
- It is sometimes the case that due to the delay or cancellation of flights some passengers may need to stay an additional night on the mainland or on the islands. If the airport is near to your home and if it is possible, we would recommend you go home for the night and return to the airport to check-in for your rearranged flight. If you are delayed overnight and it is necessary for you to find and pay for accommodation nearby, you will need to keep full receipts for your additional reasonable expenses and you may be able to make a claim through your travel insurance provider or you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable expenses from Skybus. Please be aware that Skybus will not be able to pay for accommodation at the time of the delay/cancellation of your flights.
- Skybus can provide transport between the airport and local accommodation.
The above arrangements may not be provided if by making those arrangements this would cause the flight to be further delayed.
12. Will you help me find accommodation if my flight is cancelled and I get stranded?
During cancellations airport staff will often be busy with essential operational duties and may not be able to immediately assist you with finding accommodation. In order for you to avoid spending more time in the airport than absolutely necessary, we ask that you first try to find accommodation for yourself, but please do let a member of staff know your intentions before you leave the airport. The staff may provide an accommodation list and/or telephone numbers of properties that may have rooms available, or if you are on St. Mary’s, we may refer you to the Tourist Information Centre to assist you in this process.
NB: If you are unsuccessful in finding anywhere to stay please let us know, and we will assist you in finding accommodation.
13. I can’t wait for the Scillonian III, is there any other way to travel to/from the Islands?
Yes, subject to weather and availability. There are two privately owned, island based, jet boat services that can operate between Penzance and Scilly. Using a jet boat service is a private agreement between the passenger and the jet boat company. Should you decide to use a jet boat, please advise us so we may revise our passenger lists accordingly. If you do not advise us in advance of your intention to use the jet boat service, you will not be eligible for a refund.
*IMPORTANT* – Please think of other passengers, if you do not let us know of your alternate plans we may miss the opportunity to offer your seat to another stranded passenger.
14. Persons with special needs, reduced mobility, unaccompanied minors and/or infants.
Any passengers who require any additional assistance please ensure you inform a member of staff at the earliest convenience, this will enable us to offer the correct assistance as promptly as possible. For more information on travelling with reduced mobility or unaccompanied minors please visit our ‘plan your trip’ section on our website: https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/plan-your-trip/
15. How to claim your expenses
Please email your enquiry to: email@example.com
Alternatively you can write to us at: Customer Services, Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, Steamship House, Quay Street, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4BZ.
16. Denied boarding
If you have checked-in on time and there is no other legitimate reason why you shouldn’t travel, but you are still denied boarding by airport staff or have kindly volunteered to give up your seat when asked, we will offer you an alternative flight as soon as possible, or at a later date that is convenient to you.
If you want to fly as soon as possible, we will look after you while you wait, using the same care as is set out above, you will be provided with refreshments and meals reasonable to your waiting time. If you decide you no longer wish to travel with Skybus then you are entitled to a full refund of the parts of your ticket that have not been used, but to be eligible for this refund you must advise Skybus at the time, we will not refund if we were not advised at the time.
As included in regulation (EC) 261/2004 – “As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier”.
If you still feel you may be entitled to compensation under regulation (EC) 261/2004, you will need to submit your claim along with your booking reference to customer services and we will be happy to look into it for you, this will depend on the length of your delay and the reason for the delay.
An Online Dispute Resolution platform has been set up by the European Commission: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/ which provides easy access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
NB: Please note, Skybus are not currently subscribed to an approved ADR scheme therefore neither the ODR platform nor any approved ADR providers will be able to accept your complaint.’
You can log your complaint with CAA’s Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT) by completing the online complaint form via the CAA website: www.caa.co.uk/passengercomplaints. Under the subtitle ‘How the CAA can Help’ you will need to click on the link ‘Refer your complaint to us’. You can then access the CAA’s consumer portal where you can submit your complaint to PACT.”